August 29, 2013 § 4 Comments
Today’s review is about my very first MAC product I bought. Well, actually it’s a sample, but..still!
I’m talking about the Face&Body Foundation in the lightest shade is N1, which is the one that I asked for at the MAC counter back in March. My mom wanted to try it and, basically, that’s why I got a sample, but it turned out she didn’t like it that much and so, she left it to me to test it out. The same day I actually bought the Face&Body Faoundation in white full size, because I really needed for the longest time.
Color&Pigmentation. The picture showed above is the N1 mixed with a lot (I swear, a lot) of white. I couldn’t force myself in adding more white because I already knew the color would never match me. Even if N1 is in the neutral/cool line, is still too yellow for me, as you can clearly see. The white shade, of course, can’t be better described by “white”! 😛 The pigmentation is quite poor: this is a light to medium coverage foundation, that doesn’t cover up much imperfections, but that definitely does even out the skin color and gives a healthy look thanks to its light finish. I’ve never build too much the product, but I know that you can do more than two layers and this foundation works as a charm. Can’t say anything about body-use either, sorry!
Application. Since it’s very liquid, you can easily apply with fingers and get a very even out look. I’ve also applied it with a sponge or with a brush, but my eyes couldn’t see a visible difference in finish. It’s definitely one of the easiest foundation to apply ever, it really goes smooth and, maybe thanks to the fact that it has light coverage, there’s no way you can mess up! One thing I noticed: the white one is a tad more liquid than the N1 sample.
Longevity. Quite long-lasting, despite the light coverage. Of course, setting it with a powder makes everything work longer, but even when I don’t, it stayed there for an entire day, without even using a face primer!
Packaging. Can’t say much about the sample. Sadly the guy at MAC didn’t want to spoil me, so he didn’t put much product in the container, but I got the big bottle of the white one. It’s 120ml and it will literally last me forever. I know you can get the 50ml bottle as well, though. Since it really is a huge amount of product I am super afraid that it’ll go bad. The xpiring date is 2 years from opening, though and I just have to find the courage to put the whole bottle in the fridge to store it! The packaging itself is quite sleek and I love the pointy applicator! 😉
Store&Price. The Face&Body foundations can be bought at MAC stores (online or not) and I paid my 120ml bottle 36€ and the smaller one should be about 10€ less expensive. On a side note, I have to warn you that the white shade is sold only at MAC Pro stores and I would suggest to book it in advance since every time I went at the shop it was always sold out.
Overall: 9/10. I wished it offered a little bit more coverage, but I like the finish better than a high coverage, to be honest. I simply lack of patience when it comes to build-up and work with foundation. Speaking of which, I have to mention that I rarely use foundation on a daily basis. Most of the times, I have to time, truth be told, but my skin isn’t that bad either. Nevertheless, I always wear foundation for events and singing contest because I like to have a more even out skin tone. What still upsets me is that not even the lightest MAC Face&Body foundation shade matches my skin. Somebody please explain me why MAC denies cool-toned (and super fair) people to buy their face products. The foundation scores a 9 also because it kind of solved all of my foundation-wise problems. As you know, I am super pale and I’ve tried the largest amount of foundations, but none matched my skin at all, so ended up with a lot of impossible-to-use bottles of foundations. With this white baby I get to mix them and have the perfect shade I need. It’s a huge deal for me, after years of struggling for a great skin-match!
That is all for today!
I wish you all a super nice weekend!
August 26, 2013 § 6 Comments
Happy Monday, girls!
I’m back with a new nail polish review. Meet the nail polish in Pinstripe White (#134) by NYC.
I picked this cute baby one day back in June because I desperately wanted a white nail polish to wear on my entire nail or just to use as a nail art color! I’m so glad I bought this one specifically!
Color&Pigmentation. It’s the whitest white you could ever imagine. The finish is not matte nor too glossy, it’s perfect for a casual look. I would add a top coat if you’d like a very shiny finish, though. I used to hate white nail polish back in the 90s, but now…it one of the trend I’m embracing entirely!!! 😀 The pigmentation is quite nice, but I find that with just one coat the color isn’t very even, plus it’s not very white either. If you apply the second coat, it’s simply perfection!
Application. Pretty simple and straightforward. I wish I could just be done with one coat, but it rarely happens so, I can’t complain much. The brush has the perfect size and it allows to get exactly the amount of product you desire. What I usually do is going for a first light coat without loading the brush much. Then, I let it dry and apply the second coat to get an even coverage. No matter how much you load the product of the brush, the first coat will never give you full coverage! I tried and it was a disaster! Concerning the texture, I find it strange. Let me explain: if you shake it very well it’s quite liquid, but still easy to work with, but after 4 to 5 nails it starts getting a little thicker so, what I do, is shake it again and it’s good as it was before! 😉
Longevity. It’s a miracle worker. It lasts more than 6 days without chipping (no top coat used).
Packaging. Cute, even if it’s quite basic! I like how the black cap is black and round!
Store&Price. I got my nail polish at the drugstore (Acqua&Sapone) for 1.99€ and I’ll definitely buy more now that I know they work like a charm!
Overall: 9/10. Great product for being this cheap!!! Can’t wait to try some of their other shades, honestly! It would have been a ten if I could get just one coat of it and perfect coverage, but I know that’s a lot to ask! Not even a Chanel one can work for that aim, right?!
Bonus for those who stick to reading the entire post!!! 😛
Here’s the mani I wore at my sister’s 30th birthday party she had last Sunday. It was a success! People kept asking me if my nail were fake, haha! 😛 Gotta love big polka dots. ❤
August 19, 2013 § 17 Comments
Hello hello, Internet!
As I mentioned some weeks ago, I wanted to place an order on Maquillalia.com because I am literally in love with everything that is sold on that website. I finally got time last week to pick up some things and I definitely caved in to lots of products I didn’t need. I killed two birds with one stone with this order, because I bought some products for my sister as well, since it was her 30th birthday last week. Because I already gave her the makeup, the list of what I bought is shorter than all the makeup shown in the Instagram picture down here.
My experience with the website: Would I order again? If I had spare money to throw out of my window, yeah, definitely!
Anyway, I placed my order last Thursday before noon, and the parcel was shipped the day after and came here on Wednesday. I asked for some samples and, aside from the common samples they give (skin care products, the spanish Hean brand makeup, ecc) and the little Haribo candy bag, they added a MeMeMe cream eyeshadow (which is about 9€) and a sample of a setting powder by Hean, I believe (since there’s no label on it).
Tons of kind-of-cheap brands are sold. For example, Sleek, MeMeMe, NYX, Essence (even the limited editions), Catrice, Accessorize, Revlon, Babyliss, The Balm, ecc.
The website in general is not the easiest one to surf, because the sections are not well organized and because there’s no way to filter product for price, date, brand, reviews, ecc. Nevertheless, I found everything that I looked for thanks to the “search” bar.
I think, anyway, that the biggest downside is the shipping cost. It really is too much! I was insane enough to spend over 100€, so the shipping was free, but I don’t know if I will buy stuff from there again because I would end up paying shipping almost as makeup products. To Italy (but I believe also in the rest of Europe – I’m not sure if they ship internationally), they ship by GLS which, to me, it has been a pain in the back. For some reason, the address of my place is not well saved in their PCs and so they end up trying to ship it to another address if I don’t phone them in time. This is the third time it happened and I don’t want to know about GLS anymore.
Let’s cut to the chace and let’s see what I bought.
- Babyliss rotating brush (46€): this is the main reason why I placed the order in the first place. I wanted to try it so badly for years and I would drool over tutorials on YouTube using this magic wand. I used it two days ago and, sadly, I must admit that it wasn’t as great as I thought it would be. First of all, it’s not very easy to use, but I believe that practice makes perfect, so I’ll just need to don’t give up and try more and more. Second, I think my hair is too long to be styled with this brush: it kept tangling on the brush and on itself over and over! Moreover, I tried to roll the brush on the entire length of a piece of hair, but I didn’t end up having the big curl I expected. So, yeah..kind of disappointed by this tool. I hope I’ll feel better about it after finding the better way to use it on my hair.
- MUA Undress Me Too palette (4.99€): second reason why I placed the order. We all know how the Naked palettes tempt every makeup girl alive, but I really never found the courage to just pick my wallet and leave 45€ at Sephora so..I went online for a good dupe for the Naked 2 palette, and this MUA one kept popping out. I had to have it. It’s smaller than I thought it would be, but, just as the Naked, it has 12 eyeshadows (even if I believe there’s less product) and they really are very dupes for the Urban Decay ones. I still haven’t used it on my eyes, but I swatched all the shadows and..well, some are more pigmented than others, but, overall, I’m not that impressed with the pigmentation. Quite poor, to be honest. I’ll get back to you when I tested it well!
- Sleek Blush Palette (Trio) in Flame (12.99€): this one was a long story, get comfortable before you keep reading. I was desperate to get NARS Exibit A since I watched LillianMasie‘s videos: it was too stunning to not tempt me. When NARS finally came to Italy (it is sold at Sephora, now) I looked online happy that I could finally buy it. Of course it was too dang expensive for my wallet so, again, I googled dupes for the amazing red toned blush. The closest ones were the NYX powder blush in Red and the red one in this Sleek trio. Lucky as I am, I added to my cart the NYX one (about 6€), but, of course, it was out of stock when I actually placed my order. I had the chance to try the cream red one (by NYX as well), but I was scared that a cream red blush would look too harsh and so..here comes the Sleek palette. I still haven’t worn it, but of course I swatched all the colors and I’m super impressed with the pigmentation. Plus, it surprised me that even the darkest shade (that I’ve never thought I would wear) is stunning! Definitely a good purchase! 😉
- China Glaze nail polish from the “On Safari” collection in Purr-fect Plum (5.40€): this was an impulsive add. I wanted to get a China Glaze nail polish (I’ve never had), but I struggled picking up the color. The ones I wanted weren’t on sale and I didn’t want to spend like..more than 8€ on a nail polish. I ended up picking this one and realizing after it came home that my sister has a Kiko nail polish veeery similar to this one. Yay, me! -.-‘
- The Balm Mary Lou Manizer highlighter (17€ -> 13.26€): another product I bought because the highlighter I wanted (MUA Undress me too highlighter) was out of stock. I’ve been hearing so many great stuff about this one that I wasn’t that disappointed that I had to buy it! 😛 And..it was on sale so..13€ is still a lot to me, but if it was 17€ I would have never added it to my cart. I expected it to be less gold and more pink, but it’s stunning anyway. Can’t wait to wear it as an eyeshadow as well!!!
- MUA Lipstick in Shade 15 “Juicy” + Shade 16 “Nectar” (1.49€ each): I’ve heard good opinions about these lipsticks and for just 1.49€ I had to have them. I struggled picking the color up because I feel like I had every of their shade in my lipsticks collection already. I am so glad I picked the only two colors I was missing among the other lipsticks that I own! I swatched them on my hand and it’s so creamy and pigmented that my mind was blown. I regret not getting more of these.
- Montagne Jeunesse Various Masks (1.75€ each): I know that these masks are available at Acqua&Sapone as well, but my drugstore does not sell them (I am so lucky, I know), so I bought them online. I just picked three of them and we’ll see how they work! I’ve heard great stuff about these, especially the Chocolate one!
- Sleek Lipstick in Smother (6.50€): Sleek lipsticks are amazing. I’ve watched online swatches and I wanted to get them all! I decided to get this deep plum color because I still don’t own any color like this and because, as the Internet says, it should be the perfect dupe for MAC Rebel (another lipstick on my wish list since ages – but too expensive for me to buy it!). Trying it on my hand I realized how incredibly creamy and pigmented it is. Again, I wish I got more shades!
- NYX Powder Blush in Angel (5.95€): this is a super raved product on YouTube. After I saw it for the first time I was scared that they put in my package the wrong color. I turned the blush over and no, it actually was “Angel“. It’s not the light pink I expected at all, but after swatching it I was squeeing hard. Perfection, literally! And super pigmented as well! The downside is that, for being a cheap brand, NYX blush aren’t that cheap at all. I don’t regret buying it..I just wish it was cheaper!
- Essence nail polish form the Snow Jam Limited Edition in #04 “Top of the Ice-Stream” (1.99€): I remember seeing this polish thanks to MissHollyBerries here and I just had to have it. I’m in the white-nail-polish phase, recently, and I couldn’t be happier with this milky-shiny one!
- Sleek Blush Palette (Trio) in Lace (12.99€): a super raved blush palette by the british YouTube gurus. Definitely not a disappointment! Super pigmented and smooth! I love all the three shades, pretty pretty pretty! The middle one should be close to NARS Orgasm (correct me if I’m wrong)!
- NYX Soft Matte Lip Cream in Istanbul (5.95€): another range of products super talked of on YouTube and blogs. Again, I wasn’t sure about the shade I wanted. I was going to get a nude/pink one and a red one, but, because I couldn’t just ask for a bank loan for this order, I got rid of the red one and ended only with this pink one. I tried it on and it seemed very good (super pigmented, that’s for sure), but I cleaned it right after so I still don’t know about its staying power. I’ll let you know!
- Real Techniques Expert Face Brush (10.99€ -> 8.79€): another reason why I placed this order. I’ve been hearing about these brushes for years and I really wanted to test the big deal they are. I would have got the stippling one as well, but it was out of stock too. 😦 I tried this one twice to apply blush, and I’m impressed already. I know it’s a miracle worker for liquid foundation application and I can’t wait to try it! I plan on writing a review soon so, stay tuned!
- Batiste Dry Shampoo XXL Volumen (5.25€ -> 4.25€): finally I got it. In Italy it’s sold nowhere and I’ve been looking for a spray dry shampoo since last year when I got the Lush one and I ended up not using it because it wasn’t in a spray can. Still have to test this baby out. 😉
- Samples: as I was saying early I got a stunning deep green MeMeMe cream eyeshadow that I gave my sister, a powder, a leg gel, a face cream, a hair mask and a shampoo – super pleased!
& that’s all!
I wished I get more MUA lipsticks because who knows when I’ll do another MUA order and I wished I tried something by Catrice, but, honestly, nothing attracted me enough to get it!
I know, I know, I spent a fortune for this haul, but it was since March that I didn’t allow myself to makeup shop, so I’ve been quite good! 😛 I have to go to Rome in September and in October to do my TOEFL and GRE exams, and hopefully Sephora and MAC won’t tempt me! 😀
Talk to you on Thursday, girls!
August 16, 2013 § 7 Comments
Hello, hello, girls!
Today I’ll introduce you all to my latest addition to my blushes/lipglosses collection: the Kiko Glow Touch Lips&Cheeks in Butter Margarita (#01). I went to Kiko two weekends ago (during my brief two-days-break from the TOEFL program) because I really wanted to get something on sale, but I wasn’t lucky that much. I got this product, a body water and a crease brush. Not satisfied at all!
Color&Pigmentation. I had no doubt when I picked this color up. It definitely was my favorite. It’s that strawberry red/pink color that I always tend to buy for every lip product! Thankfully, (don’t ask how is that possible) I don’t have any other blush/lip products of this color! 😛 The pigmentation is quite good, better than I though, definitely. Nevertheless, it has a glossy finish so it doesn’t provide a perfect coverage, but thank God it doesn’t or it would be impossible to use it on the cheeks!
Application. On the lips it goes smooth as a regular lip balm, but on the cheeks you have to work it more. The very first time I used I got so scared because the pigmentation, for a blush, is extremely high and I though I would end up with reaaaally rosy cheeks! I blended it and the result was amazing. It doesn’t blend in the easiest way possible (like a powder blush, for example), but applying it a little bit, blending it and applying later some more product (if needed) is the best way to achieve a nice healthy look. Concerning how I apply it, I’m straightforward and I use just fingers. Maybe with a stippling brush it would work as well, but I never tried so I can’t give you my opinion.
Longevity. On the lips it tends to disappear in less than an hour, sadly. On the cheeks it stays there for an entire day.
Packaging. Cute, but it’s a pain in the back. I struggle every time to open the cap and I dropped it so many times opening it that I’m planning on finding a way to depot it into another jar!
Store&Price. I would never have bought it if it wasn’t on sale simply because I already have tons of lip products like this, but..it was on sale for 2.90€ and, hey, I was in the mood for shopping. Thankfully, I didn’t regret it at all!!! The blush/lip balm is from the Kiko limited edition Fierce Spirit and it was 5.90€ full price. There are other 5 shades available, one for every taste and occasion! 😉
Overall: 8/10. If it wasn’t for the short-longevity on the lips and the impossible-to-open cap it would have been a ten. Overall, I am very pleased to have bought this product. It’s definitely the gem of my makeup routine, these hot summer days! Do I recommend this product? Well, yes. If you want a cream/glowy blush easy to wear and you want to have a pop of color on the lips with no high expectations!
Do you own this blush/lip balm? Ever tried a two in one product like this one?
August 12, 2013 § Leave a comment
Hello and happy monday, girls!
The product I’ll review today is a gift from the drugstore Limoni for my birthday month. It’s a nail polish by the brand B BasicBeauty, but I couldn’t find the name nor the number of the color, sorry!!!
Color&Pigmentation. The nail polish is in a very pale blue color and the finish is pearly. The color appears lighter on the nails than it is in the bottle. When I applied for the first time I was shocked to see that aside from being pearly, the polish dries in a matte finish. I wasn’t sure if I like it or not, but to avoid chipping I decided to go over it with a clear polish by Kiko. The pigmentation isn’t the best: as you can see from the picture the nail is still showing despite the two coats used.
Application. The polish is pretty liquid and this surely doesn’t improve the pigmentation, but it was very easy to apply and it dried quite fast too.
Longevity. It lasted without problems at least 6 days, but bear in mind that I applied a top coat.
Packaging. Nothing great, simple and basic. I like the mirror cap, though.
Store&Price. As I was saying, I received this polish as a gift for my birthday from Limoni, but I believe these polishes aren’t more that € at the B BasicBeauty counters. I don’t think it’s a brand sold outside Italy or Limoni.
Overall: 6/10. It does its job, but I’m not impressed. I will surely wear it in spring and summer, but it won’t be the polish I reach for when I want a light blue color on my nails, sorry!
August 7, 2013 § 2 Comments
Today’s blog post is a special entry. I got the chance to be sent* a GlossyBox and I can’t wait to discover with you all the products inside!
The GlossyBox I received is the July 2013 one, which is titled “Le Grand Bleu“, all focused on summer.
Before going on, I have to specify that this box is the italian GlossyBox and not the UK one. I know that the July UK GlossyBox had different (yet still awesome) products, but here in Italy isn’t available! 😦
Let’s go into details.
The description of the GlossyBox “Le Grand Bleu” states:
Royal Blue, cobalt blue, aquamarine or turquoise: this month we celebrate out edition of “Le Grand Bleu” which isn’t only the latest season trend and the color of the sea, but also marks the beginning of holiday. Wherever it is, sea or lake, dive in with us into the deep blue. We picked up the best products that will make you feel beautiful even during summer holiday. Sunscreen, nutrient and protective creams which won’t lack in your beauty case for this summer.
This month’s must is a sun and sea breeze inspired beauty.
As you can see from the picture, the box itself is blue-themed and it’s in the prettiest turquoise. I think I’m going to use it to bright up my desk or my book shelf. It’s too pretty and summer-y to end up in the dark!
Moreover, I really appreciated the way everything was wrapped. The little bow is so pretty as well as the wrapping paper. The attention to the details is a ten to me!!!
- Arcocere – Roll on wax (Velour Blond Honey) – 100 ml (full size) – 3.50€
- Beauty Bird – Fly High Foot Gel – 75 ml (full size) – 9.00€
- Gerard’s – Cream Oil Shower Gel – 30 ml (full size) – 7.00€
- Nails Inc. – Brook Street nail polish – 10 ml (full size) – 14,00€
- Model Co. – Lip Enhancer Illusion Lip Liner – 1.5g (full size) – 17€
- Dr. Taffi – 10% off coupon
- Dr. Taffi – Vanilla Eau de Parfum – sample size
- Dr. Taffi -Super Tanning Sun Oil – sample size
Since I received the box just some days ago I didn’t have the chance to actually try the products, but I surely will in the following days. I’ll get back to you as soon as I can review the items I received.
Coming to my first impressions, I must say that the product I’m most excited to try is the foot gel: I’ve always wanted something like it, but never got the change to go out and actually buy it. The shower gel smells amazingly and I’m almost running out of my usual soap so I’m ready to use this brand new one! I’m still not sure how and if I’ll use the wax since my skin is extremely delicate and instead of wax I’ve always used silk-epil. But, oh well, it could be the chance to start waxing! I’m pretty curious about the Vanilla perfume too and I am super glad I got a 10% discount at Dr. Taffi. I looked online at the website and it really does sell a lot of interesting items! Plus, everything is bio, so..awesome!!! I swatched the lip pencil and I believe it’s way too dark for me, but until I try it on I can’t actually speak my mind! And..no, I didn’t forget about the pretty nail polish, how could I?! Honestly, I can’t wait to put it on. I’m going to do my nails tomorrow and I’ll surely wear it and let you know my opinions soon!
& that is all, girls.
Over all I am very pleased by this month’s box. Now I’m super curious to know what’s inside the future months boxes, eheh!
On a side note, I have to thank Mr. Alberto Botton for being super patient and extremely kind to me. The GlossyBox customer service is excellent, really.
Thanks for reading, girls.
* The box was sent to me by the GlossyBox company. I am not paid in anyway by writing about the box and the products in it. All opinins belong to me and state my true feelings. *
August 3, 2013 § 2 Comments
I am back home, finally!!! It so great to finally be able to sleep in my comfortable bed and not having to share bathroom with people, haha! 😛
I’ve missed you all, even if I still got the chance to comment (Internet happened to be available actually!) now and then on your lovely blogs. Despite the fact that I needed a break from blogging, I have to admit I missed writing on this sweet corner of the web! 😉
As you know, I’ve been MIA because of the TOEFL program I attended in the month of July.
I got back home last night after four long, challenging and basically life-changing weeks. I can’t believe July is actually over and that, now, future starts getting real and closer. I am going to have a super busy Fall because of PhD applications and exams and..it feels really weird being this close to my dream. Let’s keep fingers crossed!!!
The English programme went extremely good. I got the chance of improving my reading and writing abilities (hopefully my written English will be better from today on – can’t promise anything, though :P) and, most of all, I managed to speak a lot of English with actual American gals and -not to brag- I think my pronunciation really is better than before. Everything thanks to my awesome English teacher Dean and the 25 Detroit college students who lived by my side for 30 days. I learned so much from their culture and I was pleasantly surprised how nice everyone was. That’s surely the thing that impressed me the most. I will forever have a place for all of them in my heart! It really was an enriching experience from every points of view!
I’ll try not to get emotional, but I definitely have to admit that saying goodbye to everybody, yesterday night, was one of the most bittersweet feeling ever. So sad to see them leave Italy. I regret not having spent enough time with them. I wish we had some more weeks to keep knowing each other, but..well, what can we do?! Thank God for Skype and Facebook!
If you Detroit kids are reading this, I hug you super tight and I miss you all already! Good luck with your dreams! ❤
I had some time to write my thesis, but not as much as I wanted. I guess August will be the month of catching up with my schedule, but, most of all, I should start planning the exams I have to take this Fall and list the universities to apply to. So much to do! I am feeling super excited that my dream is so near that I can almost grab it, but so scared about the amount of stuff I have to do in the next months!!! *sigh*
I should be back on schedule with blog posts starting next week, hopefully. I have so much stuff to review that my “blog” folder is going to explode! 😛
& that’s the end of the post. I just wanted to update you all on my “life” and let you know that I am alive!!! 😀 Now, while listening to Spice Girls (don’t ask :P), I really should go and unpack my stuff and clean this mess around me!
Talk to you all very soon!