February 5, 2014 § 4 Comments
Today’s turn is the Real Techniques Expert Face Brush. I got this brush back in August (haul here) and have been using it non-stop. As you already know, Real Techniques is the brushes brand by Samantha Chapman, one of the Pixiwoo sisters. The Expert Face Brush is maybe the most famous of these brushes, and I now I understand why.
The brush: the bristles are very dense, but extremely soft at the same time. I like how bendable yet firm it can be – don’t know it you get me. It really gives the perfect flawless and airbrush finish without showing any kind of unesthetic strikes on your face.
Clean the brush: concerning the cleansing side, at first I thought that the white tips were going to suck the product in and never come back to white. Well, I was wrong. The brush can be cleaned to its original status perfectly (as long as you avoid to leave there the foundation for more than two weeks). Generally, I use only the elf Daily Brush Cleanser but once every two/three weeks (depending on how much I used the brush) I fully clean it with a simple hand bio soap.
Use the brush: personally, I find it works amazing on liquid foundations and I always use this one whenever I don’t want to apply the base with my fingers. However, I am surprised on how versatile this brush can be. It works great to apply powder too, especially to set concealer under the eyes or around the mouth and nose (despite being quite large for those areas). And, incredibly, it works to apply brush (either cream or powder) too. I wish I could have another one so that I can use one to apply foundation and the other for the powder and the blush.
Overall 10/10: I really couldn’t love this brush more. No wonders why it was included in my “Best of 2013” products! It is definitely a must-have for all you brushes lovers. And even if you don’t like to use face brushes (neither did I before this one), I can promise that after trying this brush you will never want to use your fingers for the foundation! Moreover, for its price (I got mine between 8-9€ on Maquillalia.com), it’s an amazing tool. I could not recommend it more!
What other Real Techniques brushes would you suggest me to get? I definitely want more now that I am so in love with this one!
September 19, 2013 § 12 Comments
Hang in there because Friday is near! Personally I’m studying every day so I feel like every day is just like the other. No weekend happiness for me. 😛
I received my TOEFL scores on Monday and I got 115/120. I still can’t believe it! The exams wasn’t great at all and I was so afraid of not getting the “pass mark” for a lot of unis, which is 100/120. Thank God I was wrong!!! 😀
But aside from that, today I wanted to talk about a brush that changed my life. It’s the Blending Brush (Eyes #200) by Kiko.
Truth be told, in the past I bought a lot of blending brushes trying to find the perfect one. I wanted to get the infamous #222 (correct me if I’m wrong) by MAC, but since I’ve always been disappointed in blending brushes so much, I didn’t want to spend a fortune on it. I bought this Kiko one back in the beginning of Summer and I had no idea that I would have placed an order at Maquillalia.com where I could have bought the Real Techniques one. Basically, the reason why I gave in and bought it is because it was 50% off – I don’t even look at Kiko brushes in general because they are pricey for the quality they offer. I’ve never been more wrong!
The brush is white and, surprisingly, it stays pretty the same even if using very dark eyeshadows – don’t ask me how’s that possible. I guess it doesn’t retain product in the bristles and that’s good since it prevents any product waste.
Coming to its function, it blends perfectly any kind of eyeshadows – matte, satin, shimmery, you name it! The bristles are soft but quite stiff at the same time so you can blend very well without actually dragging the color (or the crease lid) with it.
Concerning the price, as I was saying I paid it 50% off the original price (9.90€) and I’m so glad the sales tempted me to buy it. Now I’ve changed my mind on Kiko brushes and maybe I’ll try something else!
The only downside is that it’s a little little little bit too big for my eyes. I have to be careful when blending or, otherwise, eyeshadow will end all over my browbone. But, nevertheless, it’s not that hard to control the brush – I just needed a little bit of practise. 😉
Overall 10/10. For me, this brush is fully successful and I really suggest you to go and get one! 😀 Plus, it’s quite cheap (even if full price) if compared to high-end ones! I’m done with blending brushes for a lot, now! 😉
ps. Don’t forget to follow me on Bloglovin! 😉
August 19, 2013 § 17 Comments
Hello hello, Internet!
As I mentioned some weeks ago, I wanted to place an order on Maquillalia.com because I am literally in love with everything that is sold on that website. I finally got time last week to pick up some things and I definitely caved in to lots of products I didn’t need. I killed two birds with one stone with this order, because I bought some products for my sister as well, since it was her 30th birthday last week. Because I already gave her the makeup, the list of what I bought is shorter than all the makeup shown in the Instagram picture down here.
My experience with the website: Would I order again? If I had spare money to throw out of my window, yeah, definitely!
Anyway, I placed my order last Thursday before noon, and the parcel was shipped the day after and came here on Wednesday. I asked for some samples and, aside from the common samples they give (skin care products, the spanish Hean brand makeup, ecc) and the little Haribo candy bag, they added a MeMeMe cream eyeshadow (which is about 9€) and a sample of a setting powder by Hean, I believe (since there’s no label on it).
Tons of kind-of-cheap brands are sold. For example, Sleek, MeMeMe, NYX, Essence (even the limited editions), Catrice, Accessorize, Revlon, Babyliss, The Balm, ecc.
The website in general is not the easiest one to surf, because the sections are not well organized and because there’s no way to filter product for price, date, brand, reviews, ecc. Nevertheless, I found everything that I looked for thanks to the “search” bar.
I think, anyway, that the biggest downside is the shipping cost. It really is too much! I was insane enough to spend over 100€, so the shipping was free, but I don’t know if I will buy stuff from there again because I would end up paying shipping almost as makeup products. To Italy (but I believe also in the rest of Europe – I’m not sure if they ship internationally), they ship by GLS which, to me, it has been a pain in the back. For some reason, the address of my place is not well saved in their PCs and so they end up trying to ship it to another address if I don’t phone them in time. This is the third time it happened and I don’t want to know about GLS anymore.
Let’s cut to the chace and let’s see what I bought.
- Babyliss rotating brush (46€): this is the main reason why I placed the order in the first place. I wanted to try it so badly for years and I would drool over tutorials on YouTube using this magic wand. I used it two days ago and, sadly, I must admit that it wasn’t as great as I thought it would be. First of all, it’s not very easy to use, but I believe that practice makes perfect, so I’ll just need to don’t give up and try more and more. Second, I think my hair is too long to be styled with this brush: it kept tangling on the brush and on itself over and over! Moreover, I tried to roll the brush on the entire length of a piece of hair, but I didn’t end up having the big curl I expected. So, yeah..kind of disappointed by this tool. I hope I’ll feel better about it after finding the better way to use it on my hair.
- MUA Undress Me Too palette (4.99€): second reason why I placed the order. We all know how the Naked palettes tempt every makeup girl alive, but I really never found the courage to just pick my wallet and leave 45€ at Sephora so..I went online for a good dupe for the Naked 2 palette, and this MUA one kept popping out. I had to have it. It’s smaller than I thought it would be, but, just as the Naked, it has 12 eyeshadows (even if I believe there’s less product) and they really are very dupes for the Urban Decay ones. I still haven’t used it on my eyes, but I swatched all the shadows and..well, some are more pigmented than others, but, overall, I’m not that impressed with the pigmentation. Quite poor, to be honest. I’ll get back to you when I tested it well!
- Sleek Blush Palette (Trio) in Flame (12.99€): this one was a long story, get comfortable before you keep reading. I was desperate to get NARS Exibit A since I watched LillianMasie‘s videos: it was too stunning to not tempt me. When NARS finally came to Italy (it is sold at Sephora, now) I looked online happy that I could finally buy it. Of course it was too dang expensive for my wallet so, again, I googled dupes for the amazing red toned blush. The closest ones were the NYX powder blush in Red and the red one in this Sleek trio. Lucky as I am, I added to my cart the NYX one (about 6€), but, of course, it was out of stock when I actually placed my order. I had the chance to try the cream red one (by NYX as well), but I was scared that a cream red blush would look too harsh and so..here comes the Sleek palette. I still haven’t worn it, but of course I swatched all the colors and I’m super impressed with the pigmentation. Plus, it surprised me that even the darkest shade (that I’ve never thought I would wear) is stunning! Definitely a good purchase! 😉
- China Glaze nail polish from the “On Safari” collection in Purr-fect Plum (5.40€): this was an impulsive add. I wanted to get a China Glaze nail polish (I’ve never had), but I struggled picking up the color. The ones I wanted weren’t on sale and I didn’t want to spend like..more than 8€ on a nail polish. I ended up picking this one and realizing after it came home that my sister has a Kiko nail polish veeery similar to this one. Yay, me! -.-‘
- The Balm Mary Lou Manizer highlighter (17€ -> 13.26€): another product I bought because the highlighter I wanted (MUA Undress me too highlighter) was out of stock. I’ve been hearing so many great stuff about this one that I wasn’t that disappointed that I had to buy it! 😛 And..it was on sale so..13€ is still a lot to me, but if it was 17€ I would have never added it to my cart. I expected it to be less gold and more pink, but it’s stunning anyway. Can’t wait to wear it as an eyeshadow as well!!!
- MUA Lipstick in Shade 15 “Juicy” + Shade 16 “Nectar” (1.49€ each): I’ve heard good opinions about these lipsticks and for just 1.49€ I had to have them. I struggled picking the color up because I feel like I had every of their shade in my lipsticks collection already. I am so glad I picked the only two colors I was missing among the other lipsticks that I own! I swatched them on my hand and it’s so creamy and pigmented that my mind was blown. I regret not getting more of these.
- Montagne Jeunesse Various Masks (1.75€ each): I know that these masks are available at Acqua&Sapone as well, but my drugstore does not sell them (I am so lucky, I know), so I bought them online. I just picked three of them and we’ll see how they work! I’ve heard great stuff about these, especially the Chocolate one!
- Sleek Lipstick in Smother (6.50€): Sleek lipsticks are amazing. I’ve watched online swatches and I wanted to get them all! I decided to get this deep plum color because I still don’t own any color like this and because, as the Internet says, it should be the perfect dupe for MAC Rebel (another lipstick on my wish list since ages – but too expensive for me to buy it!). Trying it on my hand I realized how incredibly creamy and pigmented it is. Again, I wish I got more shades!
- NYX Powder Blush in Angel (5.95€): this is a super raved product on YouTube. After I saw it for the first time I was scared that they put in my package the wrong color. I turned the blush over and no, it actually was “Angel“. It’s not the light pink I expected at all, but after swatching it I was squeeing hard. Perfection, literally! And super pigmented as well! The downside is that, for being a cheap brand, NYX blush aren’t that cheap at all. I don’t regret buying it..I just wish it was cheaper!
- Essence nail polish form the Snow Jam Limited Edition in #04 “Top of the Ice-Stream” (1.99€): I remember seeing this polish thanks to MissHollyBerries here and I just had to have it. I’m in the white-nail-polish phase, recently, and I couldn’t be happier with this milky-shiny one!
- Sleek Blush Palette (Trio) in Lace (12.99€): a super raved blush palette by the british YouTube gurus. Definitely not a disappointment! Super pigmented and smooth! I love all the three shades, pretty pretty pretty! The middle one should be close to NARS Orgasm (correct me if I’m wrong)!
- NYX Soft Matte Lip Cream in Istanbul (5.95€): another range of products super talked of on YouTube and blogs. Again, I wasn’t sure about the shade I wanted. I was going to get a nude/pink one and a red one, but, because I couldn’t just ask for a bank loan for this order, I got rid of the red one and ended only with this pink one. I tried it on and it seemed very good (super pigmented, that’s for sure), but I cleaned it right after so I still don’t know about its staying power. I’ll let you know!
- Real Techniques Expert Face Brush (10.99€ -> 8.79€): another reason why I placed this order. I’ve been hearing about these brushes for years and I really wanted to test the big deal they are. I would have got the stippling one as well, but it was out of stock too. 😦 I tried this one twice to apply blush, and I’m impressed already. I know it’s a miracle worker for liquid foundation application and I can’t wait to try it! I plan on writing a review soon so, stay tuned!
- Batiste Dry Shampoo XXL Volumen (5.25€ -> 4.25€): finally I got it. In Italy it’s sold nowhere and I’ve been looking for a spray dry shampoo since last year when I got the Lush one and I ended up not using it because it wasn’t in a spray can. Still have to test this baby out. 😉
- Samples: as I was saying early I got a stunning deep green MeMeMe cream eyeshadow that I gave my sister, a powder, a leg gel, a face cream, a hair mask and a shampoo – super pleased!
& that’s all!
I wished I get more MUA lipsticks because who knows when I’ll do another MUA order and I wished I tried something by Catrice, but, honestly, nothing attracted me enough to get it!
I know, I know, I spent a fortune for this haul, but it was since March that I didn’t allow myself to makeup shop, so I’ve been quite good! 😛 I have to go to Rome in September and in October to do my TOEFL and GRE exams, and hopefully Sephora and MAC won’t tempt me! 😀
Talk to you on Thursday, girls!